Biography, Net Worth, Career, Success
Apart from being famous for his music and lyrics, the young rapper is also known for his legal problems and numerous mugshots all over the Internet. Kodak’s net worth is estimated to be $600.000, a success that happened in less than five years, all thanks to another famous rapper – Drake.
Kodak Black is the stage name of the rapper born as Dieuson Octave on June 11, 1997. He was raised in Pompano Beach, Florida by his mother Marcelene Octave who is of Haitian descent, as is his father. When asked about his childhood spent in a public housing project, Kodak said he had only two choices – sell drugs or rap. Seems like he made the right choice.
Kodak started rapping at the age of nine. While in elementary school, he used to go to a local drug house and record music or rap in front of older boys together with his cousin. He also invested in his vocabulary – he used to read dictionaries to expand his word fund and become a better rapper.
He started using the first version of his stage name when he was six. At that time, he called himself Black. Later he also used J-Black, and Lil’ Black. He chose the name Kodak Black when he started using Instagram.
The author of “Tunnel Vision” was also a very problematic child. He was expelled from school in fifth grade and participated in a number of criminal actions including fights and robberies.
Career Timeline and Success
At age of twelve, Kodak became a member of a rap group called Brutal Youngnz and later he joined The Kolyons. His first mixtape, “Project Baby” was released in 2013. A year later, the rapper released another mixtape “Heart of the Projects”, led by the single “No Flockin”.
The big breakthrough for Kodak Black came in 2015 when the famous rapper Drake posted a random video of himself dancing to Kodak’s song “Skrt”. The single ended up being no.10 on the Billboard’s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. This led to a deal with Atlantic Records and the release of his third mixtape “Institution”, led by the single “Like Dat”.
In 2016, Kodak was featured on French Montana’s song “Lockjaw”, which peaked at no.23 on Billboard’s Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. In the same year, he released the fourth mixtape “Lil B.I.G. Pac”.
In 2017, Kodak Black released his biggest success so far, the single “Tunnel Vision”, which peaked at no.6, becoming his first top 10 hit on the Billboard chart. His first album “Painting Pictures” was released in March 2017. The album peaked at no. 3 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. In August 2017, the rapper released “Project Baby 2” and a deluxe version “Project Baby 2: All Grown Up”, led by the single “Codeine Dreaming”.
Kodak Black’s net worth is estimated to be $600,000. However, there is a big probability that the rapper’s net worth will be going down due to his numerous arrests and scandalous behavior.
Still, despite the pessimistic predictions about his career, the young rapper has a clear plan for the future “I’ma be a living legend, you dig?”
Trivia Facts, Controversies & Legal Issues
- When it comes to legal issues, Kodak Black has a rich portfolio. His criminal record includes battery, robbery, possession of narcotics, possession of a weapon, fleeing from officers, and false imprisonment of a child. He was also charged with sexual assault.
- He has been jailed for several times and often uses these experiences in his songs. He also writes and releases songs from jail. Two such songs are “Can I” and “Heartbreak Kodak”.
- In January 2017 he streamed a live video on Instagram of himself and his friends while a woman performed oral sex on them.
- In June the same year, he shocked the world with his statement that light-skinned women were more attractive than those with dark skin. He also said that he didn’t like his skin complexion. An avalanche of negative comments by fans followed, and the rapper had to delete his social media accounts.
- However, the rapper doesn’t seem to plan to improve his behavior. Recently, he wore a ski mask during an interview and called himself ‘Tupac resurrected’, among other weird things. Maybe the reason is his peculiarity earns him so many headlines.
- The author of “Tunnel Vision” is currently trying to earn a high school diploma at a high school in Pompano Beach.
- Kodak has converted to Judaism after studying the scripture with a priest while in prison. He has changed his name to Bill Kahan Blanco.
- The rapper is currently single. He has a 4-year-old son named King Khalid Octave with his ex-girlfriend Jammiah Bloomfield.